Friday 22 April 2016

Frostgrave Treasure and Spell Tokens


With eight days left to go until the international Frostgrave extravaganza I'll be attending in Ireland, there were a few things I needed to close out ahead of the game. One of these was to create some nice looking treasure and spell tokens for the games.
 
My tokens have been based in exactly the same way as my Pan Tangians (hence the lack of snow and presence of a more arid environment!).
 
First up are a trio of fairly standard treasure tokens represented by three old Citadel treasure chests. I decided to go for different looks on all three - a pale wood bound in aging black iron, a small leather clad casket, and an old chest with oxidising brass fittings.
 
 
The next trio are a little less conventional. Treasure need not be limited to just coins and jewels after all. These three are the fabled magical instruments of the legendary Sorcerer-Bards of Hwmgaarl: the Trumpet of Calling, Chio's Tambourine of Eternal Dance, the Golden Pipes of Urkan, and the Doom-Beat Drum. Or something like that!
 

The columns are plaster (I can't recall where they came from), while the instruments are from Reaper. The little altar was made from a spare lasercut mdf section from another kit, with the pedestal coming from an old pen.


Finally, every wizard needs spells. And some spells require markers. The wizard's eye spell in Frostgrave is a nice little spell that allows the wizard to draw line of sight from a second fixed point on the board, potentially increasing range and area coverage of other spells. Rather than use dice or other markers, I decided to make some wizard eyes, in the form of creepy giant eyes. These are really simple construction - beads stuck onto wires. But they look quite cute I think!


Here's all the tokens ready for the games. I just need to finish of some magical walls, and I think I'm ready to game!


16 comments:

  1. Very elegant markers, I selected spells That didn't require any marker so thumbs up for manning up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, I hadn't given the spells much thought, but having a couple of test games identified the need for some eye markers :) We used dice originally, but eyes on stalkers look much better ;)

      Delete
  2. I think the eyes have it! Tambourine of Eternal Dance sounds interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would really prefer not to hear the jingling, I assure you!

      Delete
  3. Lovely job mate - love the eyes;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I need to make some scifi themed ones too.

      Delete
  5. Those wizards eyes are very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Very simple to make, but they turned out OK!

      Delete
  6. The magical musical instruments are what appeal to me most. A quest for an enchanted tambourine sounds so much more interesting than yet another search for a *yawn* sword.

    Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did mean to make another trio of instruments, but time ran away with me and I didn't have all the components I wanted. The Demon Guitar of Skurloc will have to wait ;)

      Delete
  7. Ewww ... the eyes gross me out. But that's a good thing paint wise :)

    ReplyDelete